- Purple Drink
- Purple Jelly
- Cough syrup, containing codeine (opioid) and promethazine
- Soft drink mixer (Sprite / soda water)
- Crushed sweets (Jolly Rancher, in the USA)
- First popularised by DJ Screw, hip hop producer – who died aged 29yrs from its usage. (Alcohol & codeine overdose).
- Part of the new wave of ‘screwed up’ hip hop. Has been mentioned by rappers on stage, in videos and in interviews. Particularly attributed to rapper Lil’ Wayne who always appears with it in a styrophone cup and has written songs about its effects.
- Also popularised by rapper Big Moe in albums “Purple World” and “City of Syrup” – who also died as a result of its use, aged 33.
- The name “Sizzurp” has been bought by a drinks company and appears to be being sold on the net as an alcoholic cocktail, containing brandy rather than codeine.
- ‘Original’ version marketed by rappers as the ‘low energy’ drink (!)
- Antihistamine medication promethazine, used in this particular mixture to counteract postnarcotic nausea. When taken in large quantities, both medications can lead to sedation and altered levels of consciousness. The addition of these antihistamines are also added to deter abuse (in doses higher than recommended, effects produce extreme somnolence, weakness and may even cause fatal respiratory depression). In lower doses, these potentiate the opiates.